Sunday, May 30, 2021

Junta

 


From Union City, NJ, formed in 2000.
Within the first 6 years of .Junta. the band recorded a self-released demo/ a split 7" with Chapter on Failsafe Records (1,000 printed and sold)/ a 7" on Dogprint Records (1,000 printed and sold)/ a self-financed demo cd (500 printed, sold and reviewed)/ and a self-financed 45 minute full length cd recorded at Stained Glass Studios by Jayson Dezuzio (1,000 printed, distributed and reviewed). After several line up changes (Dave Eisenberg-drums, Mike Braverman-vocals) and Chris and Ian filling in on Bass, the band acquired Alex Reiter on vocals, Mike Oquendo on drums and has since solidified its parts into a congruent whole with the addition of Juan Soaz on bass.

The description above says the formed in 2000, but that must mean disbanded since every says the below releases are both from 97. I do not have the full length CD, it's on discogs, but shipping to Canada is always insane and I've never bit the bullet on that one.  This band is definitely more of a 90s sound to me, very heavy and metal influenced. The split with Chapter (Pre/same band as Crucifixion is creation) is the best material in my eyes. The band sounds very similar to Creation is Crucifixion. 

chapter & junta - 1996 - split '' (fail-self records)

junta - 1997 - st 7'' (dogprint records)

4 comments:

  1. My name is Michael Oquendo (drums) from the old New Jersey band called junta. The article is correct but the video linked to it is not us. That’s child’s play compared to the thrashing we handed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, weird. Must be the wrong tracks I downloaded. Would you by chance have the correct ones, plus what I'm missing?

      Delete
    2. Yea, I’ve got 2 EP’S that we recorded. I’m going to upload them to YouTube soon and I’ll send you the link. I think you’ll really enjoy it. Thanks anyway dude. Rock on

      Delete
    3. Okay sounds good. I'll update the post with your video. And just to confirm, your band released the split with chapter, the self titled 7inch, and a full length cd?

      Delete