Monday, September 11, 2017

againsttheodds


(might not be them in this photo) 
againsttheodds are a trio of young-ins from the rochester area that play fast, crazy, and screamed emo; except it’s the kind of music that needs to be explained with a mathematical equation. y’know, like inkwell + i, robot + get up kids + [early] grade = againsttheodds. check out their mp3.com site @ http://www.mp3.com/ato_of_rochester for the best idea of what they're going for.

That's just a little piece I took from this post here. I've known about this band for a while due to their split with Kwakiutl Cannibal Society. I only had that side of the split though and spent some time trying to track down the againsttheodds side. I had some issues with the spelling/spacing of their name so that might have been an impediment to that search. I'm also struggling to find much info on them other than that they were from rochester and active around 2002.

Anyway, I finally tracked their side of the split down (thanks to the soulseek user who sent it to me, much love) and I have one other song by them. I guess there is also a 7 song demo out there, but not entirely sure if that exists on the internet along with much else from this era. As for sound, it's very early 00's mp3.com sounding. It's not entirely terrible, but not really great either. Curious to know more about them/hear the demo though...

Split with Kwakiutl Cannibal Society

Other

4 comments:

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIVFxiadDXc

    i can't find their demo but i found an interview + a live set (at 3:20)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like that 7-song demo has popped up on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-389411762/sets/againsttheodds-it-felt-like-the-fall

    ReplyDelete