Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Structures

 


Found this on one of my favorite youtubers/blog reader. Looks to be active around 2005 and from Norwich, UK. I found a review for it on collective zine.

Isn't it fantastic when a band just sneaks up on you out of nowhere and tweaks your bottom then runs away giggling. Of course, Structures are far too emo to engage in that kind of uncouth behaviour, they are way more likely to send you anonymous love poems and stalk you quietly from a great distance so that you'd never even realise they were breaking the law.

Ok. So Structures is the latest in the burgeoning line of British emo bands that I have fallen for. This EP romps through five tracks of twinkling, building up, sobbing, yelling, dual vocalling, falling down, and a bit more sobbing. There is a song on here called "This City Drinks Blood" and it is absolutely, unequivocally, any good. It shocks me with its goodness every time I play it, because some band that is just releasing a CDR without any fanfare at all has no right to be this good. Do they? Eh? This pick of the 5 songs is a killer blend of Saddest Landscape style wroughtness, and mid-west emo sway - these chaps have surely checked out that Bells on Trike 10". Its just beautiful, with one dude yelling out of breathe, and the other being all off-key and cute like Tim Kinsella was auditioning him for a Cap'n Jazz reunion show which Davey couldn't make. The guitars twinkle and sway with an overly high quota of brilliance, waiting for the song to get all explosive and crybaby. This. Knocks. Me. Over.

Beyond that song, there is other goodness, the 5 minute "If You Could Turn Back, Would You Turn Back" doesn't hook me in as much as some of the rest, but overall - I am not the one complaining. The band is well capable of mixing up the ballistic with the swirling melodies, and that is pretty much why I appreciate this as much as I do. You don't get many bands who know how to combine the fast paced emo rocketry with the deftly placed fiddly melody that makes your knees buckle. Also what I want to know is how this is so perfectly produced? Everything is mixed to the exact level that I would have specified if I was at the controls, all the right sounds shine through, yet it is still a little rough round the edges and endearing in that way too. How does some band get to be this good in secret. Lost me.

My favourite kind of music.

I have to agree, it's one of the better things I've heard in a while. Go listen. 

https://mega.nz/file/OFADyYrb#fBzgxzFb7J89dZv-6f-DfOUQeJhY2Dxf7YklmvDdtYo

2 comments:

  1. http://www.mediafire.com/file/9haro1h5khuyudv/Structures_-_this_is_where_we_stand_and_this_is_how_we_fall.7z/file

    ReplyDelete